Cadmium chloride can be used:
- As an additive to fabricate perovskite solar cells to improve long-term stability and performance. The incorporation of Cd ions enhances optical absorption and carrier transfer.
- As a precursor to synthesize functionalized cadmium telluride quantum dots for fluorescent immunosensors.
It can also be used as a catalyst for:
- Aza-Michael reaction of electron-deficient alkene and a wide range of amines.
- The one-pot synthesis of dihydropyrimidones via the Biginelli reaction.
- The synthesis of benimidazoles.